August 04, 2009

The Bat Situation

We want to bats out. That goes without saying I guess, but now we can actually do something about it! After researching, you aren't supposed to do anything during June and July because there are babies that can't fly yet and could be trapped if you got rid of the others. Anyway, yesterday was the first step in getting rid of them!

My dad and Patrick put plastic up outside over the vents in the attic with the bottom unattached so that the bats can fly out but aren't supposed to be able to get back in. The problem with this is that 1) we aren't positive that they can't get in and 2) if they can't get in, then they will try other ways to get in. So I spent most of the night tossing and turning and wondering if angry psycho bats were slowly clawing their way through the roof to get into the house. Ha ha, that's me, the worrier.

We watched them fly out last night, so we know that they got out....now we just need to check tonight to see if they got back in. I did hear fluttering around 5:30 this morning but I'm not sure if that was in the attic or outside or just a dream. We'll see! I'm just glad that none are in the house this morning. I can only handle rabies shots once in a lifetime and we've met our quota already!! Elizabeth still talks about that bat biting her. Poor thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope they are gone for good!

Love, MOM