June 05, 2009

A Letter To My (Three Year Old) Daughters


Isabel and Elizabeth,

It amazes me that you are already 3 years old. Three years old! For 3 years I have kissed your owies, sang to you at night, and tried really hard not to screw up. I have treasured my life with you two in it. For your daddy and me, it's like there was not life before you. The second we laid eyes on you it was as if nothing else up until that point meant anything at all!
Now you're not babies anymore...but kids! You don't even like to be called a baby anymore. You are real little people with individual personalities. You are both so funny and caring. One of my favorite parts of the day with you is first thing in the morning. Granted the time on the clock is not always what I'd like it to be (4:30am is rough!) but you are both in such fantastic moods. When you see me in the living room, I immediately kneel down and open my arms because it's like you are two torpedoes racing towards me. I love those morning hugs - especially how you dig your faces into me and I put my face into your hair. I look forward to those morning cuddles where you laugh and say the most beautiful thing ever, "I love you Mommy." I try not to consider that some day you might be too old to be this excited to see me in the morning.

Soon you will have a baby brother and I sometimes worry that you will feel replaced or not as important. Honestly I don't know exactly how are lives are going to change with the new addition to our family, but I do know that he will be one lucky little boy to have you both as big sisters. You are already talking to him through my tummy and telling us how you are going to teach him to color and to build things with legos. Just as your Daddy and I are blessed to have you, your little brother is blessed to have such caring, sweet, and funny sisters. There's nowhere else in this world that he would be more loved and cherished. I promise you that even with another kiddo in the family, I will try my best to make sure that you each feel just as important and special as you make me feel every day. Just being your mom makes me the luckiest woman in the world!You make me laugh with pure joy every day. Your conversations with each other are heartbreakingly adorable. You say that you love each other and you talk about sharing toys and compliment each others coloring. I am so glad that you have each other - a best friend to share and grow up with. It cracks me up when you both dance like your Grandpa when our cell phone goes off, when you sing together at the top of your lungs (even if you're supposed to be going to sleep), how your expression looks when you squint your eyes shut to pray, and how you think that buying new batteries will fix anything. You bring out the magical world of childhood in everyone around you. Who knew that a leaf fluttering in the wind or an ant crawling in the grass could be so fascinating?


I know that time is going to fly by - that soon you will be 4, then 5, then off to school. I know that this wonderful age of three won't last for long. Before I know it the time will have passed where you allow me to cuddle you and kiss your tummy and tickle your butt and where singing to you when you're scared at night makes everything okay. But that's okay, because I know that whatever comes next will be just as awesome and just as fascinating. I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

I love you,
Mom

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Aw, Katie don't make me teary at 6:47 in the morning!
This was so beautiful, and you should screen shot and save it for them.
"and how you think that buying new batteries will fix anything" Millie believes this as well. haha.

Sandro + Dinah said...

aww mom just got teary and handed me the computer to read this! how sweet! I'm tearing up too!

aimeeg said...

I"m even teary here!!

A beautiful post, Katie.