There's no school tomorrow. It's cancelled because there's supposed to be a lot of snow tonight and they haven't been able to clear the sidewalks from the 60+ inches we got in December. So basically there's nowhere for kids to walk except the streets so it's not safe for them to walk to school. I understand and agree with the concern, but I guess it's the punky Alaskan in me that says, "Seriously? No school for this? PTH! Try -45 degrees not counting windchill and random polar bears in town!"
Driving around has been crazy too - most of the roads are plowed but they are more narrow with huge snow banks on the sides and sometimes in the middle. Also there's often ice on the road with grooves and hills that you can bottom out on. You can get stuck just trying to go when the light turns green.
For those that know me well, you may know that I am terrified of cars. My mom likes to remind me of a day long ago when I yelled at pedestrians from my car window to, "watch out or you'll get squashed like maters!" Meaning, of course, squashed like tomatoes. Anyway, I am scared of cars. So usually Patrick drives when the roads are crazy like this. My job is to sit in the passenger seat and terrify oncoming traffic. Seriously, they must freak out when we drive past them because every time the car slides or hits a bump or I think another car is going to hit us, I brace myself for impact, yell out, grimace, cover my face, hold up my arm and basically look like a complete loon. I probably scare the crap out of people! I bet when they see us coming they think our brakes are out or that I'm having a baby or that a tsunami is coming right behind them!
I'm working on it. Maybe I need therapy...:-)
1 comment:
I read all your blogs, I'm caught up now! I'm soooooo glad Christmas was great.
I understand your car fear, I used to be like that years ago.
Mom and I had a good laugh over your "random polar bears" comment, too funny!!
Post a Comment